Am I a Candidate for Stem Cell Therapy?
Dr. Christie Lehman, MD FABPMR, R-MSK
Although this is not a complete list, it is a general guideline to help you understand who may be the ideal candidate for this procedure. You and your physician will always find exceptions since not every patient responds the same to each treatment:
- Looking for healthier and longer term pain relief for arthritis or tendon tear compared to using cortisone injections.
- Looking to avoid or put off surgery
- Willing to participate in additional therapies to improve the health of the joint or tendon.
- Diagnosed with osteoarthritis or tendon tear that is not considered “end-stage”.
- Lack of severe bowing of the joint (less than 8-10 degrees of bowing or “Walking like a cowboy”)
- Lack of frequent severe joint swelling requiring needle aspirations (removing water from the knee)
- Maintains at least half of normal range of motion of the joint.
- No active cancer, not a current smoker, no blood disorders or active cancer
Please contact us to sit down and discuss this further. Dr. Lehman will perform an exam, as well as thoroughly review your history and imaging studies. If you have seen another provider of Regenerative Medicine treatments, please let Dr. Lehman weigh in on whether their recommendations are reasonable.