How to Tell if Your Shoulder Pain May be the Result of an Overuse Injury
Shoulder pain is a common complaint among men and women of all ages in Asheville, NC, but it can indicate a serious underlying issue. One possible cause is an overuse injury. Overuse injuries occur when the shoulder joints and muscles are subjected to too much repetitive motion or prolonged stress due to frequent use.
Dr. Christie Lehman understands the importance of properly diagnosing overuse injuries and provides personalized treatment plans to help patients. Call Asheville Regenerative Orthopedics & Sports Medicine to book an assessment and learn about possible treatment options. We strive to help you get back to your favorite activities as quickly and safely as possible.
What does shoulder pain feel like?
Shoulder pain varies based on the cause and severity of the injury, but people generally experience the following:
- Gradual onset of pain: Shoulder discomfort develops gradually over time. You may notice a persistent ache that doesn't always subside with over-the-counter remedies.
- Increased pain with activity: Pain may intensify when engaging in specific movements or exercises. Pay attention to any activities that consistently aggravate your shoulder.
- Limited range of motion: Some people find it difficult to perform certain movements with shoulder pain, such as reaching overhead or behind your back.
- Swelling and inflammation: Swelling around the shoulder joint may be accompanied by warmth or tenderness when applying pressure to the area.
What is an overuse injury?
Overuse injuries are caused by repetitive motions or prolonged stress on the shoulder joints and muscles. These may include throwing a ball, swinging a golf club, swimming, weightlifting, and other exercises that involve frequent movement of the shoulder joint. Anyone who is unsure of the cause of their shoulder pain should book an appointment with Dr. Lehman for a thorough assessment and diagnosis.
A consultation in Asheville, NC may include a review of your medical history, an examination, an imaging scan, and laboratory testing. Based on the results, Dr. Lehman can create a comprehensive treatment plan to reduce pain.
How can overuse injuries be prevented?
Learning how to prevent overuse injuries is essential for maintaining healthy shoulders. Here are some tips:
- Practice proper technique: When engaging in exercise, make sure you use the correct form and technique to minimize stress on your shoulder.
- Gradual progression: Avoid sudden increases in activity level or intensity. Gradually build up strength and endurance to give your shoulder time to adapt.
- Warm-up and stretching: Prior to any physical activity, warm up your muscles with gentle movements and perform shoulder stretches to improve flexibility.
- Cross-train: Vary your activities to avoid overloading your shoulder with repetitive motions. Engage in different exercises that target various muscle groups.
How do you treat shoulder injuries?
Dr. Lehman frequently helps people with shoulder pain from overuse injuries when drugstore remedies fail to provide relief. Treatment plans are tailored to your health needs and may include minimally-invasive procedures to help you regain strength and flexibility. We specialize in regenerative solutions that can allow you to recover faster and with fewer side effects.
Relieve shoulder pain
Any form of pain in the shoulder should not be ignored. Contact Asheville Regenerative Orthopedics & Sports Medicine to book an appointment with Dr. Christie Lehman to learn about our custom treatment options in Asheville, NC. We proudly offer a comprehensive approach through state-of-the-art regenerative solutions.